Areas of Focus
University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1994
Order of the Coif
Moot Court Board
Delta Theta Phi
Thomas More College, B.A., 1991, summa cum laude
- Ohio, 1994
- Kentucky, 1995
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- Supreme Court of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Select Awards and Recognition
- Leadership Northern Kentucky (LNK) Class of 2016
- Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell®
Patricia Kirkwood Burgess
Patricia is a results-oriented, trusted legal advisor to her clients. For more than 20 years, she has helped businesses navigate financial difficulties and legal disputes to reach innovative, cost-effective and efficient solutions. She places great emphasis on thoroughly understanding all aspects of her clients’ businesses so she can focus not only on their legal issues, but also on the practical implications those issues have on their businesses.
Patricia serves as Frost Brown Todd's service team leader for Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. and its North American affiliates and leads Frost Brown Todd's representation of Toyota, with an emphasis in matters relating to troubled automotive suppliers, including large supplier and automotive bankruptcies, and risk management matters (Takata Corporation, Dana Corporation, Delphi Corporation, Johnson Rubber Company, Excello Engineered Systems, Intermet Corporation, Lear Corporation, Metavation, General Motors and Chrysler).
- Guides individual and corporate debtors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, as well as work-out negotiations outside of court across a spectrum of industries, including logistics companies, franchises and franchisors, real estate investors, restaurant owners, manufacturers, communication companies and automotive suppliers.
- Counsels businesses of varying sizes engaged in complex commercial disputes such as breach of contract, negligence, fraud, misrepresentation, tortious interference, successor liability, business ownership, control and governance issues, mineral trespass and energy-related disputes, franchise disputes and violations of various state and federal statutes.
Works with secured lenders in protecting and recovering their collateral whether through workout and forbearance, self-help remedies, state or federal court litigation, or bankruptcy proceedings.
Assists secured and unsecured creditors, debtor in possession lenders, landlords, utilities and purchasers of assets in both complex commercial bankruptcies as well as large and small individual Chapter 11 cases.
Represents plaintiffs and defendants in preference actions nationally, fraudulent conveyance actions, claim objections, breach of fiduciary duty investigations, and any other contested or litigation matters in bankruptcy court.
- Assists individuals involved in all levels of litigation disputes, such as will contests and estate litigation, challenging and defending enforceability of contracts, fraud and negligence.
- Represents financial institutions (from local to national) in defending lender liability claims and violations of state and federal statutes, as well as pursuing commercial foreclosure and collection actions.
- Manages filing, enforcing and defending mechanic's liens and litigation in Kentucky.
- Mediates complex commercial disputes.