Areas of Focus
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1973, with honors
Princeton University, A.B., 1970, with honors
- Ohio, 1973
- Florida, 1986
Select Awards and Recognition
- Ohio Super Lawyers® 2005-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2008-2014, International Arbitration- Commercial; International Trade and Finance Law
- AV® Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
Chairman of the firm’s International Services Group, Joe has an extensive global automotive practice, focused on supply chain matters for leading suppliers and global issues in the sector. For over 30 years, Joe has advised foreign automotive clients on setting up operations in the United States and succeeding in US markets, counseled companies on general business issues, and represented businesses in cross-border and domestic disputes.
- Developed master supply and vendor agreements for a leading Tier1/2 supplier, and regularly reviews supply chain agreements to protect essential interests of the client while accommodating terms of others in the supply chain.
- Helped numerous foreign-owned suppliers come to the United States, establish a tax-efficient structure, conform to US standards and terms, create intra-company arrangements, and deal with Customs and other cross-border matters.
US business cross-border expansion
- Assisted a US parts supplier in establishing a Canadian joint venture, an OEM in Customs and tax planning for tooling sent to Mexico, a manufacturer in establishing operations in Mexico, and similar outward expansions.
- A former Vice-Chairman of the ABA’s International Litigation Committee, Joe resolved favorably for a US subsidiary of a Japanese supplier a 9-figure dispute concerning defective products, involving 8 countries and global insurance carriers, without resort to court.