Areas of Focus
Case Western Reserve University, LL.M., 2001, with honors
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Münster/Germany, First State Exam, 2000, with honors
State Court of Darmstadt (Landgericht), Darmstadt/Germany, Second State Exam, 2004, with honors
Member of the Law Clerk State Assembly in the State of Hessen/Germany, 2002
- German Bar Admission (Rechtsanwalt), 2004
- Ohio, 2009
Select Awards and Recognition
- Listed by Chambers Global as "excellent go-to choice for advising German clients in the USA." Chambers Global, March 2014
- Listed by Chambers Global as "excellent in international matters; he's engaging and supporting." Chambers Global, March 2015
As the head of our automotive supplier group, Kai focuses his automotive practice on the supplier side. Licensed in both Germany and in Ohio, he advises domestic and foreign-owned companies that supply the automotive industry on corporate and commercial matters in the U.S. and overseas.
Corporate and Commercial
- Acts as the main U.S. counsel for a number of domestic and foreign-owned companies for their operations throughout the U.S. He focuses on corporate and commercial matters but is the point of contact for all legal matters that suppliers encounter in the automotive industry.
- Represents automotive parts and tooling suppliers in supply chain agreements, terms and conditions, warranty matters and other commercial issues. His work ranges from working with a large Tier 1 supplier whose supply chain covers countries in Asia, Europe and the Americas to a system provider that supplies paint shops for OEM plants.
- Represented a Tier 1 supplier in a nine-figure, multi-continent dispute arising from defects that occurred in a component supplier's materials, successfully resolved without litigation.
- Having practiced in Germany for a number of years, Kai is well aware of the legal and cultural challenges that German and other European companies face in the U.S. This background serves well when working with European Tier 1 and 2 suppliers throughout the U.S.