Areas of Focus
University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1988
Xavier University, Williams College of Business, B.S., B.A., Finance, 1985
Select Awards and Recognition
- State Tax Notes 2015 "Practitioner of the Year" Recipient, December 2015
- State Tax Notes 2013 "Persons of the Year" Recipient, December 2013
- Legal Leaders 2013 Recipient
- The Best Lawyers in America®, both in Tax Law and Litigation & Controversy-Tax, 1994-2018
- Eighteen-plus-year recipient of Peer-Rated “AV” Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Legal Publishing® in Taxation and Litigation-Taxation practice areas
- Kentucky Super Lawyers®, 2007-2018
- Louisville Magazine, Top Lawyers, 2006-2016
Mark F. Sommer
Throughout his entire 30-year career, Mark has partnered with OEMs and various affiliates in countless tax and incentives matters, primarily state and local tax, with much federal. Mark leads our tax teams and serves as Practice Group Leader of our Tax, Employee Benefits & Estates Practice Group. As a seasoned tax advisor, Mark understands nearly all facets of the OEM's operations, leading to tax counseling and planning on such diverse tax issues as withholding, transactional, ad valorem, income, franchise and license, fuel, sales and use taxes, and more. Advocating on behalf of OEMs in multiple administrative forums over the years, Mark has been quite successful in securing whatever OEM's tax viewpoint is at stake, but most importantly resolving all such matters in a manner which is value-adding to the client, and in accordance with its tax and culture, mission and its policies on corporate responsibilities.
- Successfully resolved on the courthouse steps a multi-million dollar tax classification dispute involving vendor and special tooling; representation before various courts including the U.S. Supreme Court of the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce and U.S. Chamber of Commerce regarding numerous constitutional tax issues of concern to the automotive industry.
- Successfully negotiated and secured more than a dozen favorable tax rulings for OEM’s and Suppliers covering a wide array of tax issues and subjects.
- Successfully tried to judgment the value of North America’s largest truck production facility and favorably resolved multiple other auto related plant valuation disputes.
- Implementing a plant wide review at a major auto industry facility to maximize recycling tax benefits; significant work in various restructurings and trade flow dynamics to minimize state tax burdens.